Talk at clay shoot prior to shoot. To be given by person in charge.
Items to be incorporated in talk:- advise attendees of the need for eyes and ear protection and that all shooters should be vigilant whilst shooting is in progress as safety must be a priority.
All members should be aware of the items identified below.
- Gun – a lethal weapon. Check barrels free from obstruction and cartridges.
- Carrying gun in sleeve. Do not leave gun and cartridges unattended.
- Carrying gun broken – cartridge removed – pump actions semi-automatic open.
- Correct loading of gun when in cage – position of barrels pointing down. Never carry mixed cartridge sizes. Only fibre wad cartridges should be used.
- Safety catch. Guns malfunction. Wait 20 seconds barrels pointing down before breaking gun and checking cartridges.
- Pointing of gun when in cage – to ground. Down range when about to fire. Do not swing around or down line.
- Take note of anything marker tells you. He’s in charge.
- Correct unloading of gun.
- Placing gun on ground.
- If you hear whistle or see red flag stop shooting break gun and remove cartridge.
- Only shooter and marker allowed at cage.
- Spectators and shooters waiting their turn shall stand behind barrier.
- Ensure gun is unloaded and broken when leaving cage.
- Warn of possible falling clays and shot.
- Ensure firm stance in cage – not standing on cartridge cases.
- Wear suitable clothing (nothing to catch on gun) and suitable footwear.
- Beware of farm machinery and tractor and trailer.
- Cars to be parked properly and not causing a hazard to farmer and public.
- Dogs to be kept on lead – not allowed in shoot cages.
- Eye and ear protection.
- No alcohol or drugs – removed from shooting ground if under influence of.
- Supervisor and markers in charge of shoot. Identify them.
- Dogs left in cars – ensure adequate ventilation and shade.
- Please take away empty cartridge boxes and other litter.
- Users of semi-automatic shot guns should mark where their cartridges are thrown.
- Special attention to new and young shots.
- Do not distract shooters. Turn off mobile phones when adjacent to shooters.