THE BAKEWELL SYNDICATE MEMBERS AND BEATERS WILL BE GIVEN A PRE SHOOT TALK PRIOR TO EACH BAKEWELL PHEASANT SHOOT. THE TALK WILL BE GIVEN BY THE SHOOT CAPTAIN OR THE NOMINATED PERSON IN CHARGE
The guidance and instructions of the Shoot Captain/Team Captains/nominated person must be observed at all times.
ITEMS TO BE INCORPORATED IN THE TALK, INCLUDING DEMONSTRATION:
- A gun is a lethal weapon – check barrels free from obstruction. Do not leave a gun or cartridges unattended, they should be locked in car boot.
- Semi automatic guns are not permitted on the shoot. Only Fibre or Felt Wad Cartridges shall be used on the shoot.
- Guns must be carried in a slip at all times except when on Peg.
- Only Pheasant & Woodcock can be shot, (i.e. NO ground game or other bird species).
- When waiting on the pegs, loaded guns must always be kept pointed at the ground or skyward with the safety catch on
- All participants in the shooting line must be aware of the location of other parties at all times (i.e. other guns, beaters, pickers-up, etc).
- No Low Shots. Never shoot unless you are sure it is safe to do so. If in doubt – Do Not Shoot !(As a rule of thumb do not shoot at less than a 45 degree angle from the ground and you can see plenty of sky around the target)
- The wearing of suitable wet weather clothing, strong footwear plus eye and ear protection, is advised by all shoot participants. In addition, whilst beating a stout beaters stick is recommended.
- Dogs to be kept on lead on highways and public places and under control on land.
- New members and young shots to be given particular attention.
- No shooter should be under the influence of alcohol or drugs – anyone caught under the influence will be banned from shoot by the shoot captain or the nominated person in charge.
- Shooting on each drive will commence when all guns are on the pegs and promptly cease on hearing the whistle.
- Be aware of fall of shot and quarry. (No shooting behind on Field Drive)
- If the emergency signal is heard (3 toots of whistle), shooting must stop immediately and await further instructions from Shoot or Team Captains.
- Shooting and beaters must stop immediately on the sight of walkers using the footpaths. Guns must be broken and cartridges removed. Shooting will commence on the command of the shoot/team captains.
- If anyone from the public approaches you, break your gun and remove all cartridges. Be polite and don’t get involved in arguments with persons with anti-shooting views if they approach, walk away and report the matter to the shoot captain.
- Cartridge cases, boxes and other litter to be picked up and taken away.
- Members will be advised where the first Aid Kit is located in the case of an accident